11:30 am – Gather in Legislative Hall Cafeteria for Brief Training
12:30 pm – Rally and Press Conference
1:00 pm – Start Meetings with Legislators
Please wear black to show your support for Smart Justice!
Ending the era of mass incarceration means dismantling the tough-on-crime approach and racial bias that has come to define criminal justice. That’s why cutting the prison population by half and challenging the racial bias in the system are the primary goals of the Smart Justice Coalition.
With 5 percent of the world’s population and 25 percent of the world’s prison population, it is easy to see that the U.S. has a mass incarceration problem. Delaware is part of that problem.
Attorneys from both the ACLU and DCJ are continuing to work on a robust package of justice reform legislation which should be introduced in March. The measures being considered include:
- Expungement of adult criminal records
- Increase concurrent sentencing
- Reduce mandatory minimums
- Eliminating drug offences from violent felony list
- Provide for sentence modification to allow early release
- Eliminate warrants for failure to pay
- Transparency of criminal justice data (DELJIS)
It’s best to schedule a meeting with your legislator ahead of time. If you need help to do that, please contact Jack Guerin at firstname.lastname@example.org (443) 255-7829.